Thursday, July 14, 2011

West Coast Summer-ization

I've been trying to think of how to sum up this trip. How to concisely put into words what this trip has been like, what it has meant for me, and what I took away from it.
First, I tried out the paradigm that this trip was all about traveling to the west to spend time with boy and meet his family and to have a wonderful and relaxing 4th and explore the city he grew up in..... Wait a second, this is sounding very 2006. Try again.
Then I tried out the paradigm that this trip was all about my professional prospects, to learn about the twists and turns of life in the not-so-angelic City of Angels and make connections and see if I should consider moving here... Wait a second, this is sounding very 2009. Start from scratch.
Then I tried the paradigm that... um.... ouch. My head hurts now.

The truth is I'm not sure what label could cover this whole trip and give me something solid to take home and examine at my leisure. I'm looking for a mental touristy tchotchke that I can put up on the shelves of my mind and, tacky though it may be, let it bring back memories and lessons learned with just a glance.

Wait, I'm sort of jumping in too deep too early here (that's what she said), aren't I?

Ok, so boy has been wanting to make it home and see his family for quite some time. A few months ago, he invited me along. I, of course not wanting to be rude, and not being stupid enough to turn down a trip, accepted his offer to travel to the lovely San Fransisco and explore the city through the eyes of a local.
At the same time, I had been wanting to make a trip out to the west coast myself, to see some friends from back east, but also to finally meet with and hopefully make a good impression on a woman we'll call DZ.

Now, let me explain this whole DZ situation. My mom's best friend Suzanne has a friend who works in the entertainment business. A very good friend who happens to be very powerful in the world of making movies. I have been hearing about this woman, I think, for about 10 years at this point. It started out as a family joke when I was still in high school. "Oh Rachel, we know you love theatre, but when you're ready to be a big star we'll call DZ." As I grew more serious about choosing acting as a career, it was brought up more and more, until it became a matter of me becoming ready in my talent, professionalism, and personal health.
Let's face it, being an actor is hard. If you haven't picked up on at least that from my blog, I think maybe you should try a little harder at reading comprehension. And most successful people, actors or not, got to where they are in life with some mixture of hard work, talent... and opportunity. Someone to give them a break, to trust them, and help smooth the way just enough for them to seize their moment and make that extra stride.
That's what DZ has been rumored to be able to do for me.

I figured the approaching San Fran trip was as definite of a sign as I was going to get. I decided to spend some time with Boy & Co, then hop down south for a meeting and some good times with friends, then back to my beloved NYC just in time for some massive heat wave or power outage or other fun disaster.

Now, while I have just been cast in a very cool project, I still feel like my career is gathering speed a little too slowly. I have felt a dearth of opportunities in the last few months, not to mention the fact that it took me a long time to get my head on straight and I feel as if there are some burned bridges in NY. I have been considering a move to the West Coast for a couple years, but never quite as seriously as now.
Not to mention the fact that boy has been feeling a little stuck himself, and has been having his own debate about whether or not he has worn out his NY welcome.
Both of us wanted this trip to spend time together and grow closer, but also to give some clarity and help figure out some 'heavy shit'. That's Cali talk, right?

So, without going into too much detail (trust me, it would take a lot of scrolling for you to read it all, forget about me writing it), San Fran was wonderful. About as close to a perfect trip as I've ever had. I was made to feel instantly welcome in his house, I met (and liked) his old college/BBYO buddies, and ate enough good food to give even my iron stomach a longing to take it easy. I went all over the SF area, from hiking at the beach to wine tasting at Napa, and not to toot my own horn, but I gave boy an awesome birthday and somehow managed to bring along the perfect gift. I rule.

Then, I hopped of the plane at LAX with my dreams and my- NO NO NO I WILL NOT QUOTE MILEY CYRUS, DAMN IT!

ahem... I spent most of my time in LA hanging out with Peter from high school, who was nice enough to let me crash in his absent roomie's empty bed, and basically trying to keep my mind off of the imminent meeting that could or could not determine my future. You know, I just try not to sweat the small stuff.
Again, not to go into too much detail, but the meeting went very well. I even got some clarification afterward through the mother-daughter grapevine that DZ liked me, understood that I needed a little help, and was willing to give it. As added bonuses, I saw friends from every education facility I've attended since middle school, and I spend most of Tuesday wandering around the streets of LA with some random guy named Dre, and escaped unscathed.

This trip has been amazing. I accomplished pretty much everything I set out to do, and then some. It was fun, romantic, exhausting, hilarious, and exciting.

The only question that remains is: Where do I go from here?

From what I can gather, boy seems pretty set on being done with NY. He wants to head back west, and I don't blame him.
I have to admit, moving west would probably be the best option for me too. I've always said I will go where the work is, and there is certainly more work for an unknown film/tv actor in LA than NYC. And, though this is not my deciding factor, I am in a relationship, a pretty damn good one, and would like to see where it goes.

But NYC is more than a city, it's my city. It's my home. It's my life. It's witnessed me at my worst, and at my best. It's given me love, strength, attitude, and the beginnings of a sense of fashion.
And as far as it is from Miami (read: family) LA would be exponentially further. Time zones be fuckin my shit up.

I'm not making any immediate decisions. But I am feeling it's time for a change. Time to grow. Time to stop waiting for my life to begin.

And like generations of pioneers before me, the West may be the key.

2 comments:

  1. I think you should make the move Rachel. You already have deep down in your core. Now you're just dragging it. You got what it takes. All the best my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woo! The middle school one was me!

    ReplyDelete