Thursday, November 12, 2009

Give it Out, It Comes Back

I woke up this morning (ok afternoon, give me a break) to a grey, rainy, blustery day. Outside my window, trees are barely holding on to their last few brown, brittle leaves, damp debris is swirling down the street, and everyone is covered in dark clothing, bent over against the elements. Inside my apartment, it's an endless mess from my move-in and the doorknob has fallen out of my door. There's really no immediate reason or inspiration for joy or giddiness; no reason for a lifting of the spirits at all and yet...

I woke up with a smile on my face.

Ok, maybe it was because of the adorable dog wriggling on my pillow and the prospect of a perfectly toasted bagel, but I was also smiling when I came home last night. And I think it's all for the same reason I'm seriously considering going to a volunteer program in Africa for a couple of months after graduation.
Yesterday was not about me.

I went to lunch with a friend from LA who is starting to have a lot of success in the acting world; who, like many other people I know, did not discover acting until a relatively short time ago. I was so happy for his success, and we spent quite a while talking about how to work out a character's psychology, and why it is so important.
I have thought these things out over and over again through the years, but sharing what I've learned helps bring new life to it. Not to mention getting to watch the "lightbulb ON" moment cross someone's face in response to some advice you happened to give. It kind of makes all the shit you go through worth it, if you can take what you've learned from all that and help someone else. It's why I do theatre.

But moving on, later I spent an evening with a friend who needed distracting from a family situation. We drowned our sorrows in the most amazing organic baked goods (try the pretzel croissant from the green bakery on Ave A, it's to die for) and people watching in the LES.
My roomate also happened to be performing some of her original songs in a little bar as part of the Folk Yeah! music show. So, excited at the prospect of free music and pizza with cheap beer, we went and supported original artists. And then, just for kicks, I gave a free waltz lesson.

Now, I will not for a moment say that all this was entirely unselfish. I had so much fun, and now have a new favorite song stuck in my head, but the intention was truly to help and support other people. The fact that it came back to me and gave me the warm fuzzies was a happy by-product.

So, this weekend, instead of moping around feeling isolated because I'm no longer in the showcase, I'm going to make a picture slideshow that everyone can have for years to come. I am still a part of this class, and will contribute something. And I know it will take a while, but it will stand out for even longer.

Karma can be a bitch, but not always. It can be your best friend.

Check out Lonna Marie at http://www.youtube.com/user/LonnaMarie
Become a fan on facebook, etc. She's awesome. Seriously. She won an award and everything.
My favorite song is I Love the Enemy.

No comments:

Post a Comment