Tuesday, October 20, 2009

What Makes You Feel Naked?

You know you've said it as some point in your life. "I'd feel naked without my (fill in the blank)" It could be a purse, underwear, makeup, a writing utensil, jewelery, anything. For me, makeup and earrings are a biggie. I always have a little makeup on, and I need earrings when I walk out of the house. I have a weird fear that my ears are too big, specifically the right one...

But I digress.

As actors, there are many different skills and/or techniques we need to master. Just like you are better at some subjects than others in school, so is every actor naturally more proficient in some areas than others. Some actors have amazing comedic timing, but have a hard time with having expressive body language. Some actors are very emotionally available, but have a hard time figuring out an objective. And so on.

I have many strengths as an actor. I am confident in this belief.
However, my weakness is emotional accessibility. I too often find myself watching, well... myself. And when I'm watching myself onstage I cannot get truly involved in what is happening. And then I can't feel anything; my acting turns fake, albeit entertaining.
To put it simply, my brain gets in the way of my emotions.

I am currently in a production of Euripedes' The Trojan Women. It's a Greek play about the women of Troy the morning after the Greeks win the 10-year war with the Trojan horse. The women are being forced into slavery, and witness atrocities throughout the course of the play.
They're not too happy about it. To put it mildly.

The play requires all the actors to be incredibly emotional, and I was at first incredibly daunted by my part in this. I am onstage literally for almost the entire play, and must be open to every terrible thing that happens.
But I was able to surprise myself. Although it was by no means consistent, I was more open and focused than I thought I would be. And then something very interesting happened.

Over the last few weeks, I have been in and out of apartments, rehearsals, and the Manor. I am exhausted and in the process of moving lost my makeup bag (PANIC) So, as a result, I have not been bothering to put on makeup every morning like I am accustomed to.
This was very uncomfortable for me at first (I am a HUGE girly girl), then as I got used to it, it started to influence me emotionally. I started to, for the first time, really not care how others looked at me.
And once I didn't care, I stopped watching myself.
And one I stopped watching myself in life, I stopped watching myself while acting.

And a whole new world opened up for me.

It is still not as consistent as I'd like it to be, but every day in rehearsal gets easier and more free. I am more emotionally involved, and am bringing forth truer performances. All stemming from being ok with being 'naked' in public.

So, I have a new acting theory. If you are having difficulty with a particular skill, try and find a part in your everyday life that has a similar effect on you. Then, do something to change it.

We all go tripping through life, but sometimes you happen to fall on the right path.
Opportunities to change are everywhere.

Never forget that.

1 comment:

  1. That's awesome. Acting is so personal that the places you have to go to improve yourself are kind of scary. One thing Uta Hagen says about emotion is to not worry about it; instead worry about the action. As long as you're involved with what is happening in the moment, emotions are like a reflex. If you haven't read "A Challenge for the Actor" by Uta Hagen, read it!

    I'm glad you found something that works for you. I didn't think I was very emotionally accessible either until I did _The Altruists_, and the approach I took with it surprised the heck out of me... There were some moments where I was sobbing like a wreck. It felt so good. Ever since I reached those extremes, it became easier. Props, and break a leg in your production!

    ReplyDelete